Monday, October 10, 2011

Music rocks... kind of.

During the school year of 2011-12, we've been listening to many different genres of music within the bowels of the guitar room.  From more modern days all the way back to the first written piece of music, we've listened to many examples.  A timeless classic, which I, myself enjoyed, was Sumer is Icumen In.  My favorite musical element within this piece was definitely the melody, which was sang in a heartfelt, upbeat way fluctuating from high to low.  It was written in the medieval period, just before the Renaissance Period began.  It was sang by a few individuals in a slight round-off style, just as you would sing Row, Row, Row your Boat.  I am beginning to think that this was my favorite music example in this class so far.  Considering the fact that this song is in included in medieval times, I would have to say that the medieval period is my favorite so far.  Due to the fact that we didn't listen to much from this period, I do not really have anything to say about it except that it uses very interesting elements. As we all know, music was just being born. I know that it music always been around, but it was just first starting to be written down on a staff. I find this very interesting just because of how complicated music can be, and how someone was clever enough to write it down in an organized fashion that is easily legible and understandable.  People probably started to get bored with life, thinking that it was all work and no time to do anything worthwhile. So what would be the solution to a boring life? I would think musical notation would be the solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment